Seeking Manitoba First Nations, Inuit and Metis Art, Photographs & Stories for inclusion in Indigenous Parenting Booklet
The Province of Manitoba’s Department of Families, through its Child and Youth Services (CYS) division, and the National Collaborating Centre for Indigenous Health (NCCIH) are developing a parenting booklet for First Nations, Inuit and Metis parents and caregivers of middle-aged (6-12 years) children, in Manitoba. The resource is intended to promote healthy parenting and reflect the strengths and diversity of First Nations (Anishinaabe, Cree, Nehetho, Ininew, Dené, Dakota, Anishininew), Inuit and Metis families in Manitoba.
We are seeking Manitoba-specific, culturally-relevant contributions to the resource content from First Nations, Inuit and Metis peoples with knowledge and/or experience parenting or caring for children aged 6-12 years. Possible submissions may include:
- Stories about parenting (funny, inspirational or teachable moments)
- Traditional teachings
- Indigenous languages quotes
Deadline for submissions is November 20th, 2020
|Guidelines for submission|
|Written or artistic submissions such as art, cartoons or stories must be original pieces of work produced by the person who has submitted it. It cannot have been published in any other venue. Stories can be up to 500 words in length, and should be written in an easy conversational style that highlights positive parenting. Please be aware that if your submission is accepted for inclusion in the booklet, it will be copyrighted by the NCCIH in the publication of the booklet.||Photographic submissions can only be accepted if they are submitted by the photographer of the photo. They must show positive and safe parenting practices. They must be submitted in a high resolution jpg format and include a signed permission form for each person in the photograph. In the case of persons under the age of 18 years, the permission form must be signed by the parent or legal guardian of those individuals.|
|There will be an honorarium for use of photographs ($20/photo), and $50 honorarium for all creative submissions (art or written) that are selected for inclusion in the parenting resource.|
Procedures for submission and acceptance for publication
· Send submission via email to Lisa Murdock (CYS) at email@example.com
· Include your name, Nation/community affiliation, mailing address, phone number and email address with your submission(s).
· CYS will acknowledge receipt of all submissions, however, only individuals with submissions that are chosen for inclusion in the booklet will be notified of their accepted submission.
· If your submission has been accepted for inclusion, you will be contacted by NCCIH to sign permission and/or release forms. Payment of honorarium will be arranged at that time.
This project has been reviewed by the UNBC Research Ethics Board. If you have any further questions about your submission, please contact Dr. Margo Greenwood at 250-960-6719. If you have any concerns about his project, please contact the Office of Research at the University of Northern British Columbia at 250-960-6735 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.